Each Friday, I post my five favorite things from the week. I hope you enjoy this week’s favorites! Click here to see previous editions!
- Favorite personal finance article/post. Shopping bans seem to be all the rage these days. I myself have tried a 90-day shopping ban in the past and am seriously considering embarking on another shopping ban in the near future. I really enjoyed reading Tonya from Budget and the Beach’s thoughts about the difference between shopping bans and mindful spending. She makes a great point that many people who are theoretically on a shopping ban yet allow many exceptions are really just practicing mindful spending. And this is OK! Mindful spending is great, and is perhaps even more sustainable than a shopping ban. Of course, a shopping ban might be a great way to kick start a long-term habit of mindful spending.
- Favorite non-personal finance article/post. When I am a mom someday, I want to be just like Elise from Enjoy It. This week, I particularly loved her post about her “I want to remember” project that she is doing this year for her daughter Ellerie. Elise records the most adorable memories of her daughter and I can just imagine what a joy the book will be to look back on in the future. Such a simple, meaningful project.
- Favorite thing I did this week. This week one of my oldest and best friends was visiting from out of town and I was lucky enough to get to see her for dinner and some wedding shopping! She is getting married next summer and I am a bridesmaid (yay!), so we looked at some wedding and bridesmaid dresses and I even tried on a few bridesmaid dress options. It was so fun! Let me know in the comments which dress you like best! The dress will be navy blue, these are just the samples they had in-store.
- Favorite recipe. While I was staying at home, I enjoyed a lot of my mom’s delicious home cooking. Let me tell you, it really is a treat to come home after a long day at work to dinner already on the table. Such good service! One night, my mom made the most delicious frittata I have ever had. OK, I’m not actually sure I’ve ever had a frittata before, but still, this thing was awesome! She changed the recipe a bit and used an herb goat cheese, which added even more flavor.
- Favorite quote. For some reason I decided that I needed to re-watch Rent: The Movie, this weekend. I’m kind of a musical theater geek, so these things happen now and again. I love the messages in Rent, especially this quote, which appears in several songs throughout the play/movie.